Mozilla announced Firefox 28 release today. As soon as we heard the news we rushed to add this browser to our cross-browser testing platform. We just finished installing Firefox 28 to Browserling and you can already cross-browser test your sites in this browser version.
Try Firefox 28 in Browserling now!
Firefox 28 Key New Features and Updates
- Now that spdy/3 is implemented support for spdy/2 has been removed and servers without spdy/3 will negotiate to http/1 without any penalty.
- Mac OS X: Notification Center support for web notifications.
- Horizontal HTML5 audio/video volume control.
- VP9 video decoding implemented.
- Support for Opus in WebM.
Firefox 28 Web Developers Updates
- Support for MathML 2.0 'mathvariant' attribute.
- Background thread hang reporting.
- Support for multi-line flexbox in layout.
- The console.exception property has been added.
- The console.assert property has been added.
- App Manager: a new Manifest Editor was added.
- App Manager: the toolbox used for debugging apps is now embedded in the app manager UI.
- Web Console: added a "split console" mode - press Escape to quickly open the console in any other tool.
- Web Console: added a dark theme for the output.
- Debugger: simply hover over any variable or click on it to bring up a pop-up that displays the current value.
- Inspector: added a color picker in rules view and various tooltips.
- Browser Toolbox: allows add-on and platform developers to use almost all of the developer tools while targeting the browser itself.
- Support for multi-line flexbox has been added.
- Longhand East Asian counter styles have been implemented.
- Experimental support for the background-blend-mode property has been added, but is disabled by default.
- The none value has been added to font-variant-ligatures.
- Support for the :hover user action pseudo-class on pseudo-elements has been implemented.
- <input type=color> and <input type=number> have been implemented but are disabled by default.
- New Array methods have been implemented: Array.prototype.entries() and Array.prototype.keys().
- HTMLVideoElement.canPlayType('video/webm') now reports maybe.
- The File constructor, e.g. new File(["foo"], "foo.txt") has been implemented.
- The two attributes Window.screenX and Window.screenY now return CSS pixels.
- Support of the mathvariant attribute in MathML has been added.
Firefox 28 Security Updates
- Out-of-bounds write through TypedArrayObject after neutering.
- Out-of-bounds read/write through neutering ArrayBuffer objects.
- Use-after-free in TypeObject.
- Privilege escalation using WebIDL-implemented APIs.
- SVG filters information disclosure through feDisplacementMap.
- Memory corruption in Cairo during PDF font rendering.
- Information disclosure through polygon rendering in MathML.
- Android Crash Reporter open to manipulation.
- Content Security Policy for data: documents not preserved by session restore.
- WebGL content injection from one domain to rendering in another.
- Local file access via Open Link in new tab.
- Spoofing attack on WebRTC permission prompt.
- crypto.generateCRMFRequest does not validate type of key.
- Out of bounds read during WAV file decoding.
- Files extracted during updates are not always read only.
- Miscellaneous memory safety hazards.
Firefox 28 Unresolved Issues
- Text Rendering Issues on Windows 7 with Platform Update KB2670838 (MSIE 10 Prerequisite) or on Windows 8.1 has a workaround.
- Echo cancellation on apprtc.appspot.com fails.
Happy cross-browser testing in Firefox 28!
Email this blog post to your friends or yourself!
Enter a URL to test, choose platform, browser and version, and you'll get a live interactive browser in 5 seconds!